Oregon & SW Washington Chapter Bylaws
Mission and By-Laws
To serve and support the United States, the Naval Service, the Naval Academy and the members:
By furthering the highest standards at the Naval Academy;
By seeking out, informing, encouraging and assisting outstanding, qualified young men and women to pursue careers as officers in the Navy and Marine Corps through the Naval Academy;
By initiating and sponsoring activities which will perpetuate the history, traditions, memories and growth of the Naval Academy and bind alumni together in support of the highest ideals of command, citizenship and government; and
By encouraging and facilitating friendships, associations, mentoring and advising relationships, and aid to and among the members.
Article I – Name
- The name of this organization shall be the U. S. Naval Academy Alumni Association, Oregon and Southwest Washington Chapter.
Article II – Membership
- A member is any person who has been sworn in as a Midshipman at the Naval Academy, is on the Chapter mailing list and was sent at least one mailing during the Chapter year. The member has voting rights.
- An associate member is any person not included in paragraph 1 above and approved by vote of the governing Council.
- Any member may resign by written notification to the Secretary and may be suspended or expelled for due cause by a three-fourths vote of the Council.
- The Council may determine and ask each member and associate to donate a minimum amount each year to the Chapter for funding operating and charitable activities.
Article III – Officers
- The officers of the Chapter shall consist of a President, Vice-President (President Elect), Secretary, and Treasurer. They shall be nominated and elected as herein provided. The President shall be elected only when there is no Vice-President (President Elect) to succeed or is otherwise unwilling. Only members are eligible to be elected to the President and Vice-President offices.
- The term of office shall be two years beginning on June 1 and ending on May 31.
Article IV – Council
- A Council shall consist of the officers and three other members or associates whose term of office shall be as set forth for officers in Article III, § 2.
- Three of the Council shall constitute a quorum.
Article V – Duties
- The President shall preside at all meetings of the Chapter and of the Council and shall exercise the powers and the duties usual to that office.
- The Vice-President shall perform the duties of the President during his absence.
- The Secretary shall keep a record of the names and addresses of all the members and meetings of the Chapter and Cou ncil.
- The Treasurer shall receive and disburse all funds of the Chapter and keep them safe. He or she shall prepare and present for audit a statement of all receipts, expenditures and fund balances as of May 31 or when requested by the Council.
- Each officer may have other duties as assigned and authorized by the Council.
- The Council shall have general charge and control of the activities and properties of the Chapter not otherwise provided for.
- Other members and associates may be appointed to various positions, chairpersons and members of committees, and directors of programs and projects as determined by the President with the approval of the Council.
Article VI – Elections
- Candidates for the offices and Council shall be elected by all members of the Chapter.
- Voting may be by any reasonable means with the person receiving the greatest number of votes being elected.
- For Council positions, the three persons receiving the highest number of votes shall be elected.
- Ties shall be decided by lot.
Article VII – Amendments
- Any amendment to these By-Laws may be proposed by any member at any regular meeting. If approved by a majority vote of the members present and voting, the proposed amendment shall be submitted by the Secretary in writing to all members at least ten days prior to the next regular meeting. If the amendment is then approved by a two thirds vote of the members present and voting at that meeting, it shall become effective provided the amendment is in accord with the aims and By-Laws of the national U. S. Naval Academy Alumni Association.