In the next month there are three high schools that are having a Veterans Celebration.
27 April / Friday /(0845-1500) / Glencoe High School
17 May / Thursday / (0845-1400) / Sunset High School
23 May / Wednesday / (0745-1430) / Aloha High School
There could be one or two more before the end of the school year. The dress is strictly casual. Lunch is provided by the school at no cost. Some schools have an assembly to honor the Veterans. Normally, veterans will be assigned a table in the Library/Media Center with six to eight seats. Classes will come into the Library throughout the day and will be seated at the tables. What you say to the kids is up to you. On occasion, the teachers will have given the students questions. What can you talk about:
- Your time in the military with any particular events
- Your life in high school and why you went into the military
- Talk about the Academy / where it is / what it is / how you get in / etc
- Talk about life after high school / things that affected you after college
- Your life today and where you live and your Family
All of these things are of an interest to the kids. There is no particular agenda. It is a time of sharing your life with kids of today. Every one of us had to study hard to get into the Academy. Impress the kids just how important studying hard in high school is. You will be surprised just how much they enjoy talking with you. As Academy grads, we have something to share with every high school student. Hope to see a few of you at the high schools.
For more information please contact Tim Myers ’64 .